The Vector 2022 skin as the default in two weeks?[derekti jańalaw]
Hello. I'm writing on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Web team. In two weeks, we would like to make the Vector 2022 skin the default on this wiki.
We have been working on it for the past three years. So far, it has been the default on more than 30 wikis, including sister projects, all accounting for more than 1 billion pageviews per month. On average 87% of active logged-in users of those wikis use Vector 2022.
It would become the default for all logged-out users, and also all logged-in users who currently use Vector legacy. Logged-in users can at any time switch to any other skins. No changes are expected for users of these skins.
About the skin[derekti jańalaw]
[Why is a change necessary] The current default skin meets the needs of the readers and editors as these were 13 years ago. Since then, new users have begun using Wikimedia projects. The old Vector doesn't meet their needs.
[Objective] The objective for the new skin is to make the interface more welcoming and comfortable for readers and useful for advanced users. It draws inspiration from previous requests, the Community Wishlist Surveys, and gadgets and scripts. The work helped our code follow the standards and improve all other skins. We reduced PHP code in Wikimedia deployed skins by 75%. The project has also focused on making it easier to support gadgets and use APIs.
[Changes and test results] The skin introduces a series of changes that improve readability and usability. The new skin does not remove any functionality currently available on the Vector skin.
- The sticky header makes it easier to find tools that editors use often. It decreases scrolling to the top of the page by 16%.
- The new table of contents makes it easier to navigate to different sections. Readers and editors jumped to different sections of the page 50% more than with the old table of contents. It also looks a bit different on talk pages.
- The new search bar is easier to find and makes it easier to find the correct search result from the list. This increased the amount of searches started by 30% on the wikis we tested on.
- The skin does not negatively affect pageviews, edit rates, or account creation. There is evidence of increases in pageviews and account creation across partner communities.
[Try it out] Try out the new skin by going to the appearance tab in your preferences and selecting Vector 2022 from the list of skins.
How can editors change and customize this skin?[derekti jańalaw]
It's possible to configure and personalize our changes. We support volunteers who create new gadgets and user scripts. Check out our repository for a list of currently available customizations, or add your own.
Our plan[derekti jańalaw]
If no large concerns are raised, we plan on deploying in the week of October 3, 2022. If your community would like to request more time to discuss the changes, hit the button and write to us. We can adjust the calendar.
If you'd like ask our team anything, if you have questions, concerns, or additional thoughts, please ping me here or write on the talk page of the project. We will gladly answer! Also, see our FAQ. Thank you! SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 04:15, 2022 j. sentyabrdin' 22 (UTC)
Update on Vector 2022[derekti jańalaw]
We wanted to apologize for the delays in the deployment of Vector 2022. We know many of you are waiting for this eagerly. We have been delaying the deployment because we have been working on the logos. It has taken us more time than originally expected. Once the logos are ready, we will let you know the exact date of deployment. We are planning for either the next (more likely) or the following week. If your wiki doesn't currently have a localized logo, we encourage you to reach out to us and we can help make one.
We invite you to get involved in the project. Contact us if you have any questions or need any help, particularly with the compatibility of gadgets and user scripts. Thank you! SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 23:24, 2022 j. oktyabrdiń 19 (UTC)
Invitation to attend “Ask Me Anything about Movement Charter” Sessions[derekti jańalaw]
During the 2022 Wikimedia Summit, the Movement Charter Drafting Committee (MCDC) presented the first outline of the Movement Charter, giving a glimpse on the direction of its future work, and the Charter itself. The MCDC then integrated the initial feedback collected during the Summit. Before proceeding with writing the Charter for the whole Movement, the MCDC wants to interact with community members and gather feedback on the drafts of the three sections: Preamble, Values & Principles, and Roles & Responsibilities (intentions statement). The Movement Charter drafts will be available on the Meta page here on November 14, 2022. Community wide consultation period on MC will take place from November 20 to December 18, 2022. Learn more about it here.
With the goal of ensuring that people are well informed to fully participate in the conversations and are empowered to contribute their perspective on the Movement Charter, three “Ask Me Anything about Movement Charter" sessions have been scheduled in different time zones. Everyone in the Wikimedia Movement is invited to attend these conversations. The aim is to learn about Movement Charter - its goal, purpose, why it matters, and how it impacts your community. MCDC members will attend these sessions to answer your questions and hear community feedback.
The “Ask Me Anything” sessions accommodate communities from different time zones. Only the presentation of the session is recorded and shared afterwards, no recording of conversations. Below is the list of planned events:
Asia/Pacific: November 4, 2022 at 09:00 UTC (your local time). Interpretation is available in Chinese and Japanese.
- Europe/MENA/Sub Saharan Africa: November 12, 2022 at 15:00 UTC (your local time). Interpretation is available in Arabic, French and Russian.
- North and South America/ Western Europe: November 12, 2022 at 15:00 UTC (your local time). Interpretation is available in Spanish and Portuguese.
On the Meta page you will find more details; Zoom links will be shared 48 hours ahead of the call.
Call for Movement Charter Ambassadors
Individuals or groups from all communities who wish to help include and start conversations in their communities on the Movement Charter are encouraged to become Movement Charter Ambassadors (MC Ambassadors). MC Ambassadors will carry out their own activities and get financial support for enabling conversations in their own languages. Regional facilitators from the Movement Strategy and Governance team are available to support applicants with MC Ambassadors grantmaking. If you are interested please sign up here. Should you have specific questions, please reach out to the MSG team via email: email@example.com or on the MS forum.
We thank you for your time and participation.
On behalf of the Movement Charter Drafting Committee,
MNadzikiewicz (WMF) 15:33, 2022 j. noyabrdiń 7 (UTC)
Apply for Funding through the Movement Strategy Community Engagement Package to Support Your Community[derekti jańalaw]
The Wikimedia Movement Strategy implementation is a collaborative effort for all Wikimedians. Movement Strategy Implementation Grants support projects that take the current state of a Movement Strategy Initiative and push it one step forward. If you are looking for an example or some guide on how to engage your community further on Movement Strategy and the Movement Strategy Implementation Grants specifically, you may find this community engagement package helpful.
The goal of this community engagement package is to support more people to access the funding they might need for the implementation work. By becoming a recipient of this grant, you will be able to support other community members to develop further grant applications that fit with your local contexts to benefit your own communities. With this package, the hope is to break down language barriers and to ensure community members have needed information on Movement Strategy to connect with each other. Movement Strategy is a two-way exchange, we can always learn more from the experiences and knowledge of Wikimedians everywhere. We can train and support our peers by using this package, so more people can make use of this great funding opportunity.
If this information interests you or if you have any further thoughts or questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us as your regional facilitators to discuss further. We will be more than happy to support you. When you are ready, follow the steps on this page to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.
Movement Strategy and Governance Team
MNadzikiewicz (WMF) 16:26, 2022 j. noyabrdiń 14 (UTC)
Opportunities open for the Ombuds commission and the Case Review Committee[derekti jańalaw]
Hi everyone! The Ombuds commission (OC) and the Case Review Committee (CRC) are looking for members. People are encouraged to nominate themselves or encourage others they feel would contribute to these groups to do so. There is more information below about the opportunity and the skills that are needed.
About the Ombuds commission
Volunteers serving in this role should be experienced Wikimedians, active on any project, who have previously used the CheckUser/Oversight tools OR who have the technical ability to understand these tools and the willingness to learn them. They must be able to communicate in English, the common language of the commission. They are expected to be able to engage neutrally in investigating these concerns and to know when to recuse when other roles and relationships may cause conflict. Commissioners will serve two-year terms (note that this is different from past years, when the terms have been for one year).
About the Case Review Committee
The Case Review Committee (CRC) reviews appeals of eligible Trust & Safety office actions. The CRC is a critical layer of oversight to ensure that Wikimedia Foundation office actions are fair and unbiased. They also make sure the Wikimedia Foundation doesn’t overstep established practices or boundaries. For more about the role, see Case Review Committee on Meta-Wiki.
We are looking for current or former functionaries and experienced volunteers with an interest in joining this group. Applicants must be fluent in English (additional languages are a strong plus) and willing to abide by the terms of the Committee charter. If the work resonates and you qualify, please apply. Committee members will serve two-year terms (note that this is different from past years, when the terms have been for one year).
Applying to join either of these groups
If you are interested in serving in either capacity listed above, please write in English to the Trust and Safety team at cawikimedia.org (to apply to the OC) or to the Legal Team at legalwikimedia.org (to apply to the CRC) with information about:
- Your primary projects
- Languages you speak/write
- Any experience you have serving on committees, whether movement or non-movement
- Your thoughts on what you could bring to the OC or CRC if appointed
- Any experience you have with the Checkuser or Oversight tools (OC only)
- Any other information you think is relevant
The deadline for applications is 31 December 2022 in any timezone.
Please feel free to pass this invitation along to any users who you think may be qualified and interested. Thank you!
On behalf of the Committee Support team,
I see that your orthography changed, and the letters А', О', etc., are now written as Á, Ó, etc. @PirjanovNurlan is changing this in the translations on translatewiki.net, which is good, but this must also be changed in the namespace names. This change must be done in the source code. In addition, the names of the "Talk", "File", and "Help" namespaces should probably be written with different words. Please check this table, and correct if needed.
Я вижу, что ваше правописание поменялось, и теперь буквы А', О', и т.д., пишутся как Á, Ó, и т.д. @PirjanovNurlan меняет это в переводах на сайте translatewiki.net, и это хорошо, но надо обновить и название пространств имён (namespaces). Это должно быть сделано в коде. Кроме того, названия пространств «Talk» («Обсуждение»), «File» («Файл») и «Help» («Помощь» или «Справка»). Пожалуйста, проверьте таблицу и поправьте, где надо.
|English name||Russian name||Kazakh name||Uzbek name||Current Karakalpak name||↓ New Karakalpak name ↓|
|User talk||Обсуждение участника||Қатысушы талқылауы||Foydalanuvchi munozarasi||Paydalanıwshı sa'wbeti||Paydalanıwshı talqılawı|
|Wikipedia talk||Обсуждение Википедии||Уикипедия талқылауы||Vikipediya munozarasi||Wikipedia sa'wbeti||Wikipedia talqılawı|
|File talk||Обсуждение файла||Сурет талқылауы||Fayl munozarasi||Su'wret sa'wbeti||Fayl talqılawı|
|MediaWiki talk||Обсуждение MediaWiki||МедиаУики талқылауы||MediaWiki munozarasi||MediaWiki sa'wbeti||MediaWiki talqılawı|
|Template talk||Обсуждение шаблона||Үлгі талқылауы||Andoza munozarasi||Shablon sa'wbeti|
|Help talk||Обсуждение справки||Анықтама талқылауы||Yordam munozarasi||Anıqlama sa'wbeti||Járdem talqılawı|
|Category talk||Обсуждение категории||Санат талқылауы||Turkum munozarasi||Kategoriya sa'wbeti||Kategoriya talqılawı|
- Shablon -> Úlgi
- Shablon talqılawı -> Úlgi talqılawı PirjanovNurlan 15:57, 2022 j. noyabrdiń 29 (UTC)
- The word "Shablon" came into Karakalpak language from Russian and mainly was used from Soviet Union time till recent days, but nowadays we have the original Karakalpak word instead of it, and it is the word "Úlgi". We discussed it in Telegram Chat group with other wiki users, and they also agreed that it's better to replace the word "Shablon" with the word "Úlgi". The same explanation for the "Shablon talqılawı". So the substituions should be as below:
- Shablon -> Úlgi
- Shablon talqılawı -> Úlgi talqılawı
Ajiniyaz Nurniyazov 17:09, 2022 j. dekabrdiń 16 (UTC)
- Shablon -> Úlgi
- Shablon talqılawı -> Úlgi talqılawı
- I've made a fix to update the namespace names. I've also made similar fixes for the special page aliases.
- You can see a diff here:
- It is not enabled yet. Before it's enabled, can anyone please check that everything there is correct?
- (Old names are kept for backwards compatibility. The first name will be shown to users, but the old names will keep working in links.)
- After you confirm that it's correct, I'll start the deployment process.
- @PirjanovNurlan, @Inosham, @Qaraqalpaqpan.
- Thanks! Amir E. Aharoni (talqılaw) 20:44, 2022 j. dekabrdiń 25 (UTC)
- 'Listfiles' => [ 'Fayllar_dizimi', 'Su\'wretler_dizimi' ], PirjanovNurlan 20:54, 2022 j. dekabrdiń 25 (UTC)
- 'Search' => [ 'Izlew' ],
- 'Shortpages' => [ 'Qısqa_betler' ],
- 'Randompage' => [ 'Tosınnanlı', 'Tosınnanlı_bet', 'Qa\'legen', 'Qa\'legen_bet' ],
- 'Randomredirect' => [ 'Tosınnanlı_burıwshı', 'Qa\'legen_burıwshı' ],
- 'Mytalk' => [ 'Meniń_talqılawım', 'Menin\'_sa\'wbetim' ],
- @Amir E. Aharoni Thank you. PirjanovNurlan 21:01, 2022 j. dekabrdiń 25 (UTC)
- Thanks, @PirjanovNurlan. I fixed it here: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/871299/3/languages/messages/MessagesKaa.php
- Note that I've also updated the word "redirect" from "burıwshı" to "baǵdarlaw". I recalled that we discussed it once. Amir E. Aharoni (talqılaw) 21:40, 2022 j. dekabrdiń 25 (UTC)
Community Wishlist Survey 2023 opens in January![derekti jańalaw]
Please help translate to your language
We are inviting you to share your ideas for technical improvements to our tools and platforms. Long experience in editing or technical skills is not required. If you have ever used our software and thought of an idea to improve it, this is the place to come share those ideas!
The dates for the phases of the Survey will be as follows:
- Phase 1: Submit, discuss, and revise proposals – Monday, Jan 23, 2023 to Sunday, Feb 6, 2023
- Phase 2: WMF/Community Tech reviews and organizes proposals – Monday, Jan 30, 2023 to Friday, Feb 10, 2023
- Phase 3: Vote on proposals – Friday, Feb 10, 2023 to Friday, Feb 24, 2023
- Phase 4: Results posted – Tuesday, Feb 28, 2023
If you want to start writing out your ideas ahead of the Survey, you can start thinking about your proposals and draft them in the CWS sandbox.
We are grateful to all who participated last year. See you in January 2023!
Рақмет! Community Tech, STei (WMF) 12:59, 2022 j. dekabrdiń 13 (UTC)